Two scholarships are available for new undergraduate students studying for a single or joint honours degree in the Department of English (see the full list of eligible courses below).
The scholarship is a £6,000 cash award (payable over three years) and is available to Black UK students with Home fee status.
Am I eligible?
You must have achieved, or be predicted to achieve, high grades in A-level or equivalent. As a guide, previous applicants have achieved, or been predicted, AAA or equivalent.
You must have one of the following categories of ethnicity: Black African; Black Caribbean; Black Other; Mixed – White and Black Caribbean; Mixed – White and Black African; or Other mixed background (to include Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other).
You must hold a current conditional or unconditional offer to study one of our following degree courses:
- BA English
- BA English and Drama
- BA English and Philosophy
- BA English and Latin
- BA English and History
- BA English with Philosophy
- BA Music and English
- BA English and Film Studies
- BA English and Classical Studies
- BA English and American Literature
- BA English and Creative Writing
- BA Modern Languages and English
- BA Comparative Literature and Culture and English
- BA American Literature and Creative Writing
- BA Drama and Creative Writing
- BA English and Digital Arts
The scholarship is one of several initiatives that we are undertaking as part of our Race Equality Charter, and is a positive action measure under s.158 of the Equality Act 2010.
The scholarship also acts to address the gap in under-represented groups of students, as set out in our Access and Participation Plan.
How do I apply?
Applications must be submitted through RH Direct by 11.59pm (UK time) on Monday 9 May 2022. Applicants will be made aware of the outcome of their application after Thursday 19 May 2022.