Opportunity to work with IVAR (www.ivar.org.uk)
Are you a group led by and supporting Black or minoritised communities? Are you tackling a social justice issue? Would you be interested in support to further your work in some way? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
At IVAR, we work with charities, foundations and public agencies to strengthen communities across the UK through action research. Through this project, we hope to support community-led solutions that privilege the voice of individuals from Black or minoritised communities. We believe that the work and strengths of Black and minoritised communities are not sufficiently recognised and we want to use our platform to highlight diverse voices in an authentic way. We want to help shift the conversation around community led solutions towards those that recognise the diversity of experiences and solutions to creating social change. We are committed to conducting action research in a way that is inclusive, iterative and developmental.
You can read about our approach to equity, diversity and inclusion on our website.
We would like to hear from people who are tackling a challenge or trying to bring about a specific change for (or within) their community. We hope to work with up to four groups who are:
- Led by and supporting people from Black or minoritised communities • Developing community-led solutions to a social justice issue in their local area (E.g. health inequalities, mental health issues with young people, migration etc.)
We will shape the work and our approach in collaboration with applicants, based on the need and preferences of each group.
We are offering up to four days of support, which could include:
- Bringing together different stakeholders to discuss how your community led work can be supported and what role others might have to play in achieving your vision of social justice.
- Opportunities to influence funder practice – we will seek to understand how funders can better support you, and share this with our network of over 90 open and trusting grantmakers.
[email protected] Opportunity for IVAR support on community led social justice 1 ivar.org.uk
Examples of delivery models we have used before include:
- As part of the #iwill campaign, we trained a group of young people to become peer researchers to explore and share experiences of youth volunteering in hospitals. • Our Connecting Health Communities initiative offers facilitation and action planning to cross-sector partnerships addressing health inequalities.
In all our work, we seek to share learning from the research with a wider audience and profile the voices of the people we work with, this will be guided by groups we work with.
Who is eligible?
Any group that is led by and supports Black or minoritised communities; and is developing a community-led solution to a social justice issue.
You do not need to be a registered charity, social enterprise or CIC to register your interest in support – we are open to working with unconstituted groups. We may be able to provide modest financial support to enable outreach and participation, but will not fund service delivery or staff time.
How to register interest
If you are interested in applying, please complete this short form by 17:00 on 31st March. The form asks:
- Your name
- Email address
- What type of community-led social justice work is your group or organisation involved in? E.g. health inequalities, mental health issues with young people, migration etc; what is the local aspect of this work; and how is this work community led? (Max 200 words)
- How would you like to use the IVAR offer of support? (Max 200 words) • Who would be involved in the research? Please tell us a bit about the group or organisation that will be involved in the research (including any charity numbers, Facebook pages or websites). (Max 300 words)
- Whether you require any financial support in order to enable outreach and participation. Please note we are not able to fund service delivery or staff time. (Max 100 words)
If the form is a barrier in any way, please do get in touch with us by emailing or calling Vita Terry at IVAR: [email protected] / 07826 848559.
We aim to make a decision about who will receive support by the 14th April, but we will reply to you within a week of hearing from you and may want to set up a call with you to discuss the partnership. We will select four groups that, together, cover a range of geographical areas and social justice issues.